Zeinab Badawi makes a huge and broad sweep across Africa examining the struggle for freedom, even in the face of bloody crackdowns with:
- A veteran Mau Mau fighter in Kenya,
- A member of the resistance in Algeria’s brutal war of independence,
- From one African president whose ancestor fought the French and from
- The grandson of the Mahdi who defeated Britain’s General Gordon.
And she talks about that heady time of independence with the families of three of Africa’s best-known independence leaders:
- Ghana’s Kwame Nkrumah,
- Congo’s Patrice Lumuba and
- Senegal’s Leopold Senghor as well as the son of the legendary
- Nigerian singer Fela Kuti.
With very best wishes,